Sunday, June 14, 2020

It's About Time We Get The Message



            The movement continues and shows no sign of letting up soon.  Across the nation there is an awakening to the need for peace and justice.  Black Lives Matter has re-ignited the conscience of millions of Americans.
            One of the impressive things about this current wave is how it is lasting well beyond the initial enthusiasm.  If anything, it appears to be gaining strength.  I pray we are witnessing a true revival of the soul of our United States.
            Today I attended the Black Lives Matter protest in my hometown of Ephrata, Pennsylvania.  It was a very peaceful, respectful event.  I would estimate there were about 180-200 people attending.  It was intergenerational, inter-racial (though primarily white) and most inspiring.  In addition to the crowd that gathered, an abundance of the cars that passed by showed their support by blowing their horns and giving us the thumbs up.  Some even displayed signs of their own.
To be sure not everyone was fully supportive.  A few who passed by voiced some disagreement.  But I was impressed how reserved they were.  No one tried to confront anyone with the intent of escalating tensions.  Across the street from where I stood, I could hear one man speaking with a group of protesters.  He was emphatically making the point that “All lives matter”.  One protester countered by saying exactly what I was thinking: that “All Lives Matter” includes black lives, and so, in a sense, he was agreeing with them.   The difference is that people of color are the ones experiencing the abuse and the loss of rights.  The man did not really come around to agree with them, but neither did he appear upset.  When today’s event began there was one police officer in sight.  After about twenty minutes a second officer arrived.  They both remained relaxed.  I made a point of going up to them to speak briefly with them, to encourage them, and to thank them for their faithful – and respectful – service.  There are bad cops out there.  These two guys are not among them and if we are going to criticize the bad guys, we should also show appreciation for the good guys.  It’s a simple concept known as “bridge building”.
            Perhaps there is hope for this country yet.  We have a very long way to go and many obstacles to overcome, but this feels different to me.  One speaker today said she had never heard a pastor speak about racial injustice.  I felt like telling her she has been going to the wrong church!  I have been preaching since 1983.  I did my internship in Birmingham, Alabama, where racial prejudice and discrimination was very real and the “N”-word was heard from the mouths of my church members.  Racial injustice has been one of my core concerns through the years, along with peace and radical discipleship.  But the words of today’s speaker helped me understand that far too many people have not been challenged to expand their thinking.  Looking back over my career I must admit that most of the members of my congregations were looking for messages of comfort, not challenge.  I could sense the tension when I hit a nerve by taking them out of their comfort zone. 
            But now there is no escaping the message.  Its on the news every day.  Its heard on neighborhood street corners and in city squares.  Black Lives Matter!  Its about time we get the message.  No Justice – No Peace!  What is so hard to understand here?
            We are seeing things that are blowing me away.  Police kneeling with protesters.  The officers who killed George Floyd not only fired from the Minneapolis Police Department, but charged with murder.  Police reform given serious consideration.  The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff formally admitting he was wrong to appear dressed in battle fatigues for a photo op with the President immediately after armed troops opened fire on peaceful, lawful demonstrators in order to make the photo op possible.  The former Secretary of Defense criticizing the use of American troops against American citizens.  Confederate Statues coming down throughout the South.  And perhaps the biggest shocker of all: NASCAR banning the presence of the Confederate Flag at all their events.
            I hope we can maintain the momentum.  It will not be easy – change never is.  But this is a movement that seemingly has a destiny.  There is something prophetic about this, which may be just the thing that gives it life.
           
G. D. Gehr

No comments:

Post a Comment