Monday, January 30, 2012

'A Smile As Big As the Moon' Redefines "All Stars"

A Movie Review
By G. D. Gehr

Just last night I was wasting some time very casually watching the NFL Pro Bowl game.  I think the effort I put into watching the game exceeded the effort of the athletes who were actually playing it.  You see, the Pro Bowl is the National Football League's version of an All Star Game.  It is played annually at the end of the regular season, after the playoffs and in recent years just before the Super Bowl.  It is a totally meaningless game and is played that way with half-hearted tackles and lackluster performances by all.  I am sure no one wants to get hurt in a game that holds no value and admittedly is for entertainment only.

Suddenly, about 10:00 in the evening, my wife enters the room to tell me that she is watching one of the best movies she has seen in a long time.  It is a Hallmark Hall of Fame production entitled A Smile As Big As the Moon.  She begins to tell me the plot: A Special Education Class attempts to join the Space Camp at the United States Space and Rocket Center.  They are rejected at first but their teacher refuses to give up.  After an exhaustive effort they finally win the right to join the elite group.  Of course the group consists of top High School students from around the country, many of whom are not very receptive to sharing time and space with kids they feel are inferior.

The Hallmark Hall of Fame has established itself as a leading producer of heart-warming, quality entertainment.  When I see the Hallmark label on a film I never doubt that I will find it to be a satisfying and engaging experience. So my wife did not need to do any convincing to get me to switch the channel and watch the second half of the movie.

Am I ever glad I did!

This is truly an inspirational production.  Based on a true story it features a quality story line with some truly great acting.  Anyone who lives or works with a person who has a special need will quickly appreciate the integrity of this film.  It does a great honor to those who struggle with developmental disabilities in a world that too often seems unforgiving.  I will not give away the complete story line, but I enthusiastically urge you to check it out for yourself.  The Hallmark Channel is going to rebroadcast the movie on Saturday, February 4 at 8:00 PM (EST), according to their web site.  Visit www.hallmarkchannel.com for more details.  They will also be making a DVD of the movie available for purchase.  I for one plan to place my order!

The Church I attend is blessed with a Pastor and a Leadership Team that is very sensitive to the needs of all God's children, including those with disabilities.  We have recently formed a Disabilities Task Team to address the needs of our special members and friends and develop ways to build a broader acceptance and understanding of their needs together with programs and activities that foster inclusion while providing spiritual nurture and growth.  We call this new effort The CARInG Ministry.  The Acronym stands for Celebrating Abilities & Rejoicing In God.  Our goal is to emphasize the positive and build self esteem and worth.  As I watched the movie last night I kept thinking to myself that this is a wonderful illustration of what we are seeking to do at our church. 

I thought of something else, too.  For a moment I considered the irony of my television programming selection that evening.  I started out watching a bunch of overgrown, over-paid, ego-inflated professional athletes just going through the motions and accomplishing nothing.  I ended the evening by watching a dramatization of a true story involving a group of young people who were rejected by many and thought to be useless - if not a severe drain on - society.  In contrast to the Pro Bowl these students put forth a total effort.  They never quit.  They gave it all they had and left nothing to apologize for in the end.

Their story is being played out in virtually every school district in every State in this country, as School Boards with little vision seek ways to cut budgets and alienate the disabled.  Unfortunately they do this while preserving their precious sports programs to the max!  Why bother wasting time and money on these kids who will never amount to anything any way?  As for the sports, hey, it may be somebody's ticket to college.  How else will they earn a degree that they will never use?  So goes the reasoning even if they do not dare to verbalize it.

Sports vs. Special Education.

Academic Honors vs. disabilities.

Who do you think will win these tugs-of-war?  You don't have to be on the Honor Roll to answer that one.  We all know if cuts are to be made it will be to the Special Education budget first, with the fine arts program right behind.

In A Smile As Big As the Moon we find a refreshingly powerful argument that upends conventional wisdom and humbles the viewer to realize the greater worth is found in the hearts and lives of challenged individuals with special needs and special grit.  On my scorecard these kids were the true All Stars of the evening!

Watch the movie if you have the option to do so.  You will not be disappointed!





gdgehr  January 30, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment